Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I can't sleep, and the gray is pushing against my window.
Let's put together some images.































































I'm obsessed with the idea of gray.
That such a simple and often overlooked word could hold such imagery, emotion, and meaning.

Gray is an idea of being in between things. It is in between colors and in between emotion. It is the cloudy sky on a dreary day but it is also the early morning, and a feeling of anticipation. It could be considered the neutral, or to represent those who live their lives between the absolute morals of others. It can leave one feeling empty or be totally overpowering.

Maybe you associate it with depression, but I feel that is much too simplistic. Gray is simply not as easily classed as bubblegum pink or blood red, perky or violent, or forest green and sea blue, growing and calming, the all encompassing gray is something much much more powerful.

I can think of nothing better to describe what I am currently obsessed with in imagery, both photographic and literary.

No comments: