Tuesday, July 26, 2005

20D came today

Didn't really have much time to fool with it, I'm sort of low on energy as well. Basically took it out of the boxes before I even got home, tested everything to make sure it worked, and played with the burst fire settings a bit, and took a few snapshots (well, I consider them such, since I didn't have my lightmeter and spent no time setting up or anything). Here's Hannah.





That's the smallest I could get it, pretty much. I'm working on figuring out how to animate these without having amazingly huge file sizes. The starting images were shot on the lowest setting on the 20D, but are still huge files if taken on a total frame basis, versus individual frames. The quality of the animated gif is really nice though. I can see this thing being an LJ icon factory.

I'm pretty pleased with the image quality so far. The above picture was taken at 800iso, and taste/composition issues aside, lol, the image quality seems like it would make a 9x12 easy, 8x10 very nice, and possibly even larger. I'm sure when shooting on a low ISO in studio, it could be even better. Sure, it's nothing like working with the medium format digital backs I've been used to now, but it's certainly nice bang for your buck. Since this is really sort of a more fun camera, the only lens I got with it so far is the EFS17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM lens that came with the alternative BH kit. I'm eyeing the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, and I think I'd probably stop there for a while, considering this is my secondary system. Any major lens recommendations?

I'm going to spend the next couple weeks making sure I know this camera inside out, and working with it a bit for more studio type stuff. It will probably end up getting most of its use for weddings/event work, but I think it's probably more cost effective than Polaroids for studio work.

No comments: