Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Polyvore/Fashion Haus



Polyvore.com?

Many of you know that I'm not too interested in the commercial aspects of style, but am extremely intruiged in the social aspects. Now this is interesting. I found this through google, it seems this site polyvore lets you create outfits and sets of items from any image online. A couple people have grabbed this picture of beth from theoneswelove.org. Looks like people dig her style!

I'm willing to bet that the outfit put together through stores is about 400 times more expensive than the thrifted and found clothing that Beth always wears, but I have a feeling that is true for most fashion - influenced by people who give hardly a thought to what they wear and almost unfailably look original and beautiful, then mused on and reconfigured for the general public. Then those clothes go through time and several owners and end back up with the influential kids through thrift. Is that a logical theory? I just pulled it out of my ass, but it sounds right to me.

It's probably obvious between this and stumbleupon that I google my name periodically to find out how people are using my images around the web. I often find really interesting stuff, from people's personal myspace designs, blog posts about my work, or - the best - odd things like this that I never expected. Some photographers are upset to lose creative control over their images, but I love it. It isn't as if people haven't been making collages out of magazine covers and ads forever.

Speaking of fashion, guess what's finally up? SCAD Fashion Haus's new flickr! So if you want to see around a thousand photographs dating back to 2006 of the last three scad runway shows, that's the place to find them. It's tagged by photographer - though I only have my stuff up from the last couple years, So if anyone else who has shots wants to send them to me, I'll put them up.

Here are a couple of my snapshots that I think I haven't put up here.








So go check it out for super comprehensive runway coverage, plus, if you're one of the designers, if you click on "all sizes" and view the original size, it should be big enough to make an alright quality print for your portfolio. And if you aren't a designer but want to steal my images for other personal uses (read: non-profit) feel free as well.

No comments: